Happy almost Halloween! Whether you will be parading down the streets in the Village, or bar hopping in your best costume, a little Halloween treat would definitely be the frosting on the (cup)cake, literally! Well, we’re in luck because our resident baking extraordinaire Rose Smith has shared with us a homemade recipe of her pumpkin spice cupcakes with — wait for it — maple vanilla cream cheese frosting. Scroll down for instructions and more! It’s to-die-for. #YUM
For the cake:
– 3 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 tsp baking soda
– 2 tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp salt
– 2 tsp cinnamon
– ½ tsp ginger
– ½ tsp nutmeg
– ½ tsp ground clove
– 2 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (preferably grass-fed)
– 1 cup granulated sugar
– 1 cup brown sugar
– 4 free range eggs
– 1 cup milk (almond milk was used by Rose)
– 1 ½ cups pumpkin puree
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift or whisk together dry ingredients in large bowl: flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and ground clove.
3. Add vanilla extract and salt to the milk and set aside the mix.
4. Mix cream butter and sugars in a stand mixer with paddle attachment until light and fluffy for around 3 – 5 mins.
5. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing slowly after each addition.
6. Add a third of the total flour, followed by a third of the milk, and continue to mix. Repeat. Stop to scrape down the bowl as needed. Add the last third of the flour, followed by the last third of the milk, and mix until everything is incorporated.
7. Fold pumpkin puree gently into the cupcake batter with a spatula. Don’t overmix.
8. Fill cupcake liners two thirds full with batter and bake for 16 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
9. Let cupcakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove and place on wire racks. Frost once completely cooled.
For the frosting:
– 1 pound cream cheese (room temperature)
– 1 cup butter (room temperature)
– 1/3 cup maple syrup
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 4 – 5 cup confectioners sugar
1. Beat cream cheese on medium speed in the stand mixer until there are no more lumps.
2. Add butter, vanilla and maple syrup and continue to beat for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add sifted icing sugar 1 cup at a time, scraping down the bowl as needed.